LUFTGEKÜHLT III – LUFTAUTO
Luftgekühlt pulled the cover off of the LUFTAUTO earlier this week, it’s an interpretation of the rally-style 911, designed in form and function to be both a daily driver as well as a capable off-roader, in the spirit of the Baja-style desert races that are such a part of the racing history in California.
In the Porsche vernacular, Luftgekühlt represents all the air-cooled cars in the the manufacturer’s history, from the Pre-A 356 through the 993 model line, which ended in 1998. More specifically, Luftgekühlt is the brainchild of two-time Le Mans class winner Patrick Long and noted Southern California creative director Howie Idelson. A true Porsche happening.
Luftgekühlt™ is a brand founded initially as a series of automotive-themed events featuring a tightly-curated list of historically significant or interesting cars – both race and street. There’s no set formula for our events, but we’re excited by cool venues, fun people and creative expression, so you can bet those elements will always be in our recipe. We like coming up with wild ideas that celebrate the passion we have for all things air-cooled, and we love collaborating with likeminded people and brands.
LUFTGEKÜHLT III AT MODERNICA – APRIL 10TH 2016
A celebration of Zuffenhausen’s finest, Luftgekühlt is back for its third installment with some exciting new additions in store for 2016!
This time around the event will be held at MODERNICA at 2891 Saco Street in Vernon, CA. The renowned manufacturer and designer of Modern furniture have an incredible factory just south of downtown Los Angeles, and will be throwing open their doors for our congregation of the devoutly air-cooled.
DATE: April 10th, 2016
LOCATION: MODERNICA – 2891 Saco St. Vernon CA
The Safari LUFTAUTO will be auctioned live by RM Sotheby’s on April 10th during the Luftgekühlt event at Modernica with all proceeds benefitting the Autumn Leaves Project, a charity dedicated to funding pancreatic cancer research. For those interested in bidding on the car, pre-registration is required, directly with Veronica Perry in RM Sotheby’s Los Angeles Office. She can be contacted at email@example.com or +1 310-559-4575. More details on luftgekuhlt.net
The majority of the rally-inspired 911’s transformation has been handled at the E-Motion Engineering garage under the experienced hand and keen design sense of Joey Seely. Its also great to have Rod and the team at Emory Motorsports on board, notable in the industry for Outlaw 356s and decades of experience with safari cars, lift this project off the ground with their generations of knowledge and fabrication expertise. Deus Ex Machina’s co-founder and designer-in-chief, Carby Tuckwell, who has breathed Porsche from an early childhood (there are sketchbooks of doodles to prove it) is also in the team huddle drawing up new strategies for the Porsche playbook. Major partner and parts supplier Pelican Parts are providing a heap of performance parts for the build. And there’s a growing list of other special contributors including KW Suspensions, Braid USA wheels, Pirelli tires, Recaro seats, and handful of others that have stepped up to the plate.
The group project is a natural extension of Luftgekühlt co-founders Patrick Long and Howie Idelson’s vision of the event to be as much a social celebration emphasizing good-natured fun as it is about air-cooled Porsches.
PORSCHE LUFTAUTO SPECIFICATIONS
• 1985 911 Carrera Coupe
• Production Completion Date: 11/12/1984
• Engine Number/Type: 64F00572 (M930/21)
• Transmission Number/Type: 74F00252 (G915/68)
• Exterior Paint Color/Code: Grand Prix White/P5
• Mileage 79,000
• 3.2L numbers-matching motor
Recent major engine service as part of build, including all gaskets and seals, valve adjustment, all filters and fluid, new wires, plugs, cap and rotor, coil, starter motor, ignition switch, sensors and relays, cleaned and balanced injectors.
• Sachs clutch
• SSi headers and sport exhaust
• Stock transmission with Guard Transmission limited-slip differential
• WEVO engine and transmission mounts
• WEVO precision shift joint
• Rebuilt axles
• Rennline Engine Mount Cross Bar
• Rennline alternator strap
• Clewett ignition wires
• KW Suspension custom-designed and hand-built long-travel dampers
• ERP Suspension control arms, subframes, tie rods, spring plates and monoballs
• Tarrett Engineering suspension components
• Custom lights and grilles by Emory Motorsports
• Custom, powder coated front and rear bumpers, designed by Emory Motorsports and fabricated by Brian Coats Motorsports
• Custom front and rear skid plates by Emory Motorsports
• Auto Foreign Services roof rack
• Ducktail and mirrors by Getty Design
• Custom roll bar, fabricated by Brian Coats Motorsports
• Recaro lightweight sport buckets
• RS door panels
• Schroth Rallye 4 belts
• Rennline floorboards
• WEVO shift lever, gate and coupler, powder-coated
• CNC-milled custom American Walnut / Hard Rock Maple shift knob, by Modernica
• CNC-milled custom Walnut veneer sub-floors, by Modernica
• OMP Rally steering wheel
WHEELS, TIRES, BRAKES AND FITMENTS
• BRAID Winrace competition monoblock wheels – 15”
• Pirelli P-Zero Rally 195/70-15
• PMB restored calipers with slotted rotors
• Porterfield brake pads
• Rennline strut tower brace
• Goodridge brake lines
• Custom-designed hydraulic handbrake by Emotion Engineering and Emory Motorsport
For those interested in bidding on the car, registration is required, directly with Veronica Perry in RM Sotheby’s Los Angeles Office. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 310 559 4575. The suggested value of the car is $100,000 – $150,000; please note it is offered with reserve.
All proceeds of the auction is going towards Butch Walker’sAutumn Leaves Project, a charity for pancreatic cancer research Walker founded in honor of his father.