Director, Editorial Operations – Refinery29
Refinery29 is actively on the hunt for a Director, Editorial Operations [New York City, NY] to take our transformative media company to the next frontier. If you’re a big ideas editor who is obsessed with next-generation web culture, we want to meet you.
Only those who have 8+ years management experience working for Internet publications—and who demonstrate true strategic leadership with a passion for pushing boundaries and crafting smart, cutting-edge, stylish, and high-performing content—need apply. This person must be comfortable managing a large team, and able to work in an extremely fast-paced, digital environment.
Refinery29 is a leading authority in fashion and lifestyle, and our audience demands a distinct point of view on home, decor, living, and entertaining—essentially everything that touches their everyday lives. The Director of our dreams will ensure that every aspect of the Refinery29 editorial department is optimized, from top-to-bottom. This includes content, recruitment, budgets, processes, traffic, and every facet within the editorial department.
– Oversee and manage day-to-day operations for 30+ person editorial team, including several direct reports
– Problem-solve daily issues as it pertains to breaking news and staffing issues
– Oversee editorial schedule and work with vertical leaders to adjust daily lineups and features, accordingly
– Secure top-level editors, writers, and production support for large-scale programs and features
– Monitor traffic and oversee daily progress and goals (as it relates to SEO and syndication)
– Collaborate with Project Management Team on the rollout, budget, staffing, and pacing of all sold programs and content
– Oversee ideation and semantics for Brand Experiences partnerships, keeping an eye to brand integrity and integration
– Work with Team Marketing to optimize editor & freelancer performance, and any recommended pivots for daily/monthly traffic wins
– Track and reconcile budget for editorial department; work with all editors to track freelancer spending, and onboard and mentor new writers and editors
– Manage spending and departmental budget, as it pertains to internal spending, freelance hires, FT hires, and T&E
– Contribute ideas, and filter content to ensure it’s on brand on a daily basis
– Liaise with Tech & Product Teams on back-end and front-end updates, mobile development, and CMS changes, and message developments to staff
Refinery29 is a rapidly-growing digital media company that delivers non-stop inspiration for living a more stylish and creative life. From fashion to beauty to products and shopping, Refinery29 takes its users on a constant journey of style discovery.
Since its inception in 2005, Refinery29 has focused on building a massive community through 24/7 original content. Refinery29’s highly engaged consumer base yields 7mm unique visitors and 1.5mm subscribers generating 100mm page views each month. Refinery29 has become the #1 digital style destination and was ranked as Inc. Magazine’s #1 fastest-growing media company this year.